Central New York Forecast Calls for 5 to 8 Inches of Snow by Wednesday
The battle will be slush for the morning commute and the return home could come with snow. The National Weather Service is issuing a Winter Weather Advisory from 3 this afternoon (11/27/18) to 6 Wednesday night (11/28/18).
WHAT... Total snow accumulations of 5 to 8 inches expected. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph.
WHEN... Mixed rain and snow changes to wet snow today but with little accumulation at first. As temperatures fall later today, snow will accumulate more. Most snow accumulation will occur this evening through Wednesday morning, with areas of snow and blowing snow persisting through Wednesday.
WHERE... Southern Oneida, Onondaga, Madison, and Southern Cayuga Counties.
The advisory is already in place for Northern Oneida County where up to 10" are possible through Wednesday. Northern Herkimer, Hamilton, and Warren Counties have a Winter Storm Warning through 1 this afternoon with up to 10" possible in the higher elevations.
The snow will begin as wet heavy snow, then become drier with strong winds causing blowing and drifting.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the STATION App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.