Winter Storm Prompts Tractor Trailer Ban and No Unnecessary Travel East of I-81
The travel advisory is for all areas east of I-81. Tractor trailers will be banned from certain roads beginning Wednesday, March 7 at 8 a.m. due to the hazardous winter weather conditions being forecasted.
Drivers are urged to avoid any travel unless absolutely necessary and all tractor trailers, tandem trailers, buses, box trucks, and other high profile vehicles will be restricted from entering the following roadways:
- New York State Thruway from Exit 36 (Syracuse) to the New York City line, including the Berkshire Spur to the Massachusetts State Line, I-95, Garden State Parkway *Connector and I-287
- I-88 from Binghamton to Albany
- I-81 from Pennsylvania line to the New York State Thruway
- Route 17 Binghamton to I-84
- I-84 from the Connecticut State Line to the Pennsylvania State Line
- I-684 from I-84 to I-287
The ban will be strictly enforced by the New York State Police and ticket will be given to anyone who is in violation.
"It is imperative that we keep roadways clear and people safe," Governor Cuomo said. "We are implementing this ban on tractor trailers so our plow operators, fire, law enforcement and emergency personnel can keep roads clean and respond to emergencies as quickly as possible. All motorists are encouraged avoid travel as much as possible and if travel is necessary, do so using extreme caution."
The New York State Thruway is advising drivers to avoid travel, if possible from Syracuse to New York City. .
Keep Up To Date
Take us everywhere you go with our new App. Listen live with all of your favorite shows with fewer commercials. The new app lets you call, message or tweet at us anytime or send us photos and videos. The app also gives you the ability to receive notifications about breaking news, weather alerts, traffic advisories and school closings happening in and around Central New York.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.