Road Closures and Travel Advisories; Washout In Many Areas As Excessive Rain Brings Flooding
Multiple road closures and flooding are being reported. Travel advisories are listed below. For a complete list of business and government building closures click here. We will provide updates throughout the day but authorities are advising extreme caution this morning. States of emergency being declared in several areas.
(Last update: 28 June 2013 11:14am)
A State of Emergency has been declared in Frankfort, Herkimer, Ilion, Kirkland, Mohawk, and Whitesboro.
A list of road closures and advisories are listed:
- NO UNNECESSARY TRAVEL in HERKIMER COUNTY from the Village of Poland to southerly points in the county. County Legislative Chairman CVincent Bono is asking that residents stay out of flooded basements and report and propane leaks. Emergency shelters are being set up and will be announced soon. Bono is advising residents to check on their neighbors, especially the elderly. He says use bottled water when available and treat all municipal water systems as if they are contaminated.
- NO UNNECESSARY TRAVEL in the VILLAGE of WHITESBORO. The American Red Cross is at the Fire Department on Oriskany Boulevard in Whitesboro for anyone who needs shelter.
- NO UNNECESSARY TRAVEL in the TOWN of KIRKLAND Kirkland Police are requesting no unnecessary travel on any state highways going into the Town of Kirkland because of flooding
- NY 8 in both directions from the Town of New Berlin, the Town of Norwich line to the Town of New Berlin, and the Town of Morris line.
- Genesee Street at the Utica / New Hartford line is closed. The Utica Fire Department and officials from the Department of Transportation are on the scene in the Brookline area, going door to door asking residents to leave for the time being. Authorities will be carrying appropriate identification.
- Route 26 in both directions from North Main Street; Route 12B to Route 5
- Route 5A Commercial Drive from Henderson Street to Route 69
- Route 69 over the Sauquoit Creek
- Genesee Street over the Sauquoit Creek at the Utica / New Hartford City Line
- Clinton Road (Route 12B) from Seneca Turnpike to the Town of Kirkland Line
- New Hartford Street from Henderson Street to Lomond Place
- Oxford Road at Woodbury Road
- Route 28 in the Village of Middleville Bridge
- NY 69 in both directions from the Town of Whitestown; Village of Oriskany to City of Rome; Town of Whitestown Line
- portions of Main Street in Ilion
- I-90 has lane closures in both directions from mile marker 206.1 to 219.7; Exits 29, 29A, and 30. (
06/28/2013 9:39am The right lane of traffic is closed at mile marker 216.906/28/2013 10:02am This incident has now been cleared.) The New York State Department of Transportation is advising motorists to reduce speed in the area.
- Oriskany Boulevard / Mohawk Street in Whitesboro
- Kellogg Road from Route 8 to Oneida Street
- Oneida Street and Kellogg Road intersection
- Oneida Street from the Utica City Line to the Town of Paris line
- Seneca Turnpike (Route 5) from Clinton Road (Route 12B) to Route 233 in the Town of Westmoreland
- Clinton Street in the Village of New York Mills from Main Street to Henderson Street
- Henderson Street from Commercial Drive to New Hartford Street
- Woods Highway from Clarks Mills Road to Seneca Turnpike
The National Weather service has issued a severe flood warning for the Sauquoit Creek, the West Canada Creek, the Chenango River, the Oneida River, and the Mohawk River. The Sauquoit Creek is at the top. The Mohawk River has crested and was at 15.2 feet as of 6:00am.
Water rescues are underway in the Sherburne area. The National Weather Service is saying that flooding is imminent in area where there may not already be flooding.