Share Your Love of Camping and Get a Free New York Campsite
No matter where you camp or how you camp, sharing your love of it can get you free sites in the Adirondacks or Catskills. The Department of Environmental Conservation will hook you and up to five friends with a free campsite if you'll help with activities and assist new campers.
The Camping Ambassador program returns in 2019 after a successful debut last year. And whether you camp with tents or trailers you can participate in the program. As an Ambassador, you'll be asked to serve a minimum of two weeks between July 1 and Labor Day or September thru Columbus Day. Each week consists of 5 days and spending 2-5 hours each day assisting other campers, explaining activities available at the grounds and around the area.
The program is available at the following parks in the Adirondacks and the Catskills.
- Kenneth L. Wilson Campground and Day Use Area
- North South Lake Campground and Day Use Area
- Cranberry Lake Campground and Day Use Area
- Fish Creek Pond Campground and Day Use Area
- Frontier Town Campground, Equestrian and Day Use Area
- Lewey Lake Campground and Day Use Area
- Moffitt Beach Campground and Day Use Area
- Nicks Lake Campground and Day Use Area
- Rogers Rock Campground and Day Use Area
- Rollins Pond Campground
The DEC features the complete list of duties and requirements on their website. Complete the application online at the DEC's website. Deadline to apply is January 31, 2019.