NYDOT: Snow and Ice Lowers Speed Limit to 45 MPH on I-81
Slippery roads from snow and ice in central New York is making for dangerous travel. The speed limit on I-81 has been lowered during the storm.
The New York Department of Transportation dropped the speed limit to 45 mph on 81 from Syracuse to the Pennsylvania border.
Snow emergencies have been declared in Utica, Yorkville and Cooperstown. Parking restrictions have been issued in other areas across central New York to give plows room to clear streets.
The National Weather Service is predicting up 12 to 16 inches of snow in central New York, with up to 20 inches possible in some areas. A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until Monday night.
Schools began cancelling Monday classes Sunday afternoon. Get the latest school closings and delays in central New York.
Take us everywhere you go with our new App. Listen live with all of your favorite shows with fewer commercials. The new app lets you call, message or tweet at us anytime or send us photos and videos. The app also gives you the ability to receive notifications about breaking news, weather alerts, traffic advisories and school closings happening in and around Central New York.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download our App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.