New York Camping Ambassador Program Grows Again
Two years ago the Department of Environmental Conservation began the Camping Ambassador. Basically, you host fellow campers and get free camping. The program doubled in size last year and will be growing again in 2020 with six more campgrounds participating in the program.
Here is what will be required of you as a Camping Ambassador::
- Serve two weeks between July 1st and Labor Day.
- Arrive on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- On duty 5 days a week (weekends and holidays included) for 2 to 5 hours per day.
- Provide your own camping and personal equipment.
- Must abide by all rules of the facility.
- Display an Ambassador sign at your campsite.
In exchange for hosting duties, the DEC will provide a campsite for the duration of your stay and 5 additional people can come along. They will also provide resource materials about the campground facilities and training.
Last year the DEC had more than 300 Ambassadors at 9 facilities. This year the program will include 6 additional sites, 5 more in the Adirondacks and 1 in the Catskills. Get more details and the application on the DEC's website. The deadline to apply is January 1.