Delicious Facts About Pizza For ‘National Pizza Day’
It seems like there is a 'National Day' for almost everything these days, but 'National Pizza Day' could be the best. Especially in Central New York.
National Pizza day is observed on February 9 in the U.S., and since we love pizza here in Central New York we thought it is only fitting to share some interesting facts about everyone's favorite food.
1. Out of all pizza toppings, pepperoni is America's favorite with 36% of all pizza ordered including pepperoni.
2. Every year, more than 3 billion pizzas are sold nationally with another billion in frozen pizza sold in supermarkets and grocery stores.
3. Of all restaurants in the U.S. 17% are pizzerias.
4. The first pizzeria, Antica Pizzeria, opened in Naples, Italy in 1738.
5. The first pizzeria in the United States, Gennaro Lombardi, opened in New York City in 1895.
6. Each American eats about 23 pounds of pizza every year
7. The average pizzeria uses 55 pizza boxes every day.
8. The highest grossing privately owned, independent pizzeria in the United States makes $6 million per year - Moose's Tooth Pub and Pizzeria in Anchorage, Alaska.
9. Pizzerias combine to spend about $4 billion in cheese every year.
10. Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza per day - or 350 slices per second.
11. There are more than 61,000 pizzerias in the United States.
12. The biggest pizza ever made measured 122 feet 8 inches in diameter, needed 9,920 pounds of flour, 198 pounds of slat, 3,968 pounds of cheese and 1,984 pounds of tomato puree.
Now that we're sure you're hungry, head out to your favorite pizza parlor, grab a slice and share a pic on social media using #NationalPizzaDay.
BONUS VIDEO: Ever Try Mashed Potato Pizza?