Central New York Blizzard Warning May Make Monday Commute Difficult
From "blizzard-like" conditions to an official Blizzard Warning in Central New York. The National Weather Service predicts several inches of snow with winds gusting to 65 m.p.h.
* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 10 inches expected along and north of the Thruway, with 3 to 6 inches south. Significant drifting snow expected. Winds gusting as high as 65 mph on Monday, then 35 to 45 mph Monday night.
* WHERE...Northern and Southern Oneida County.
* WHEN... From 4 AM Monday to 4 AM Tuesday. Worst conditions expected Monday afternoon and evening.
Travel will likely be very difficult or impossible with areas of blowing snow significantly reducing visibility. Hazardous conditions are expected to impact the morning and evening commutes on Monday. Strong winds could cause tree and power line damage.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the BIG FROG 104 APP. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.
Get up to information on power outages throughout Central New York; where it’s out and when it’ll be restored with National Grid’s Power Outage Map.
National Grid also offers text alerts on the latest efforts to restore power.
To receive free text message alerts and updates, text the word STORM to NGRID (64743). E-mail alerts are available to customers who create an online profile on the company’s website. All alert services can be started and stopped at the customer’s request.
You can even report power outages or get the latest information at National Grid’s website.
Power Outage Preparation:
*Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
*Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
*Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
*Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
* Download the Big Frog 104 App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notification.