Be Prepared for Power Outages with Flood Watch and High Wind Warning
Get prepared for power outages across Central New York as the National Weather Service is calling for lots of rain with thunderstorms possible. If that wasn't bad enough, strong winds, up to 60 m.p.h are forecast to follow.
* WHAT...Flood Watch from 4 pm this afternoon through Friday evening. Periods of rain, some heavy at times along a line of thunderstorms, are possible this evening. Total rainfall amounts of 2 to 3 inches are likely in the watch area, with locally higher amounts possible.
* WHERE...The Following Counties: Portions of central New York and northeast Pennsylvania, including the following areas, in central New York, Broome,
Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Madison, Northern Oneida, Otsego, Southern Oneida, and Tioga. In northeast Pennsylvania, Bradford, Northern Wayne, and Susquehanna.
* WHAT... High Wind Warning from 4 a.m. through 6 p.m. Friday. West winds 30 to 40 mph with gusts as high as 55 to 65 mph expected.
* WHERE...Yates, Seneca, Southern Cayuga, Onondaga, Madison and Oneida counties.
Widespread power outages are expected as strong winds will uproot trees and down power lines. Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles. Avoid being outside in wooded areas and around trees and branches. If possible, remain in the lower levels of your home during the windstorm, and avoid windows.
Get up to information on power outages throughout Central New York; where it’s out and when it’ll be restored with National Grid’s Power Outage Map.
National Grid also offers text alerts on the latest efforts to restore power.
To receive free text message alerts and updates, text the word STORM to NGRID (64743). E-mail alerts are available to customers who create an online profile on the company’s website. All alert services can be started and stopped at the customer’s request.
You can even report power outages or get the latest information at National Grid’s website.
Power Outage Preparation:
*Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
*Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
*Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
*Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
* Download the Big Frog 104 App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notification.