Old Main Doors to be Opened Once Again for Tours
The legendary mental hospital in Utica known as "Old Main" will once again open it's doors for the public to view. This historic building was built in 1843 and operated as a mental facility for many years and is as eerie as it is interesting.
The tours are being provided by Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi, the New York State Office of Mental Health, and the Utica Landmarks Society are teaming up to once again give people a look into this extraordinary part of our cities past. The last time the building opened was in the Spring and Summer of 2014 and 2015, bringing in huge crowds.
According to a release, the times are scheduled for June 10 and 17, 2016, these tours will take place every twenty minutes from 9:00 a.m. until 11:40 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:40 p.m. Individuals interested in touring the building must register in advance and tour group sizes are limited to 20 people. A total of 720 individuals will be able to tour the building during these scheduled tour dates and times.
To make your reservation email OldMainTours@omh.ny.gov. Anyone requesting a tour is asked to include the names of all individuals interested in the tour; the requested date and time of the tour; organization or school affiliation if any; and any special arrangements for wheelchair access, if necessary.