Today Is Drive-In Movie Day [VIDEO]
It was June 6, 1933 when a new concept in movie watching made its debut in Camden, New Jersey. It was the opening of the first drive-in movie theater in the United States and today, to mark the occasion, is Drive-In Movie Day. Although they are few and far between today–the West Rome Drive In being the only one left in the Utica-Rome area–there was a time when local movie goers had these choices.
Here are a few I remember.
1) The Kallet (Later the Marcy Drive In) at Carey’s Corners in Marcy (Near intersection of 291 & 49)
2) New Hartford Drive In on Commercial Drive
3) Skyler Drive In on Route 5, Herkimer Road
4) WGAT Drive In on Seneca Turnpike, New Hartford
5) Valley Drive In in Little Falls
6) Spa Drive In at 20 and 28 in Richfield Springs
Did I miss any? Check out this fun video of the Beach Boys song “Drive-In” with a great slide show.