The Proper Way To Display And Care For The American Flag
This Independence Day if you are thinking about displaying an American flag at your home or wherever, it’s important to know the proper precautions to take when displaying and caring for it. Improper use of the American flag is one of the most disrespectful things you can do as an American, and we don’t want that right?
Here is a list of things to remember when displaying and storing the flag:
- Always display the flag with the blue union field up — never display the flag upside down, except as a signal of extreme distress.
- Always carry the flag aloft and free — never carry it flat or horizontally in processions or parades, unless the flag is too large to march with a poll or post.
- Always keep the flag clean. Keep it safe from those who would not respect it, or do not know enough to do so, such as young children.
- If you’re displaying the flag at night, make sure to have a light on it at all times. The same applies if it’s raining.
- If you’re storing the flag make sure to fold it properly into a triangle with the blue union field showing. (as shown below):
This Photo from the 9/11 Memorial
If you don’t know how to properly fold an American Flag, watch this video:
Subscribe to Big Frog 104 on
Another important thing to remember if your flag gets old, ratty, or ripped is how to properly dispose of it. The ONLY way to properly dispose of the flag is to bring it to a ceremony held by your local VFW or other veteran’s group, so the flag can be burned.
This July 4th make sure you have a good time, be safe, and make sure you respect the living symbol of our nation and the freedoms we have.