Secrets To A Successful Yard Sale
Gather up things your not using anymore and have a yard sale? Here are some easy tips to make it successful.
Having a yard doesn't need to be overwhelming. Just keep a few things in mind, and you'll be surprised at how much money you can make.
Consider this when picking things to sell:
- When it comes to clothing, you must follow the rule of thumb 'if you haven't worn it in a year then out it goes.' Most of us keep so much more than we need and it's just impossible to wear it all.
- Remember to let it go when it comes to baby clothes and toys. Save a few things for the grandchildren but in the big scheme of things, you won't remember what you sold.
- If you don't use it then sell it. Think of old sports equipment, the sewing machine, what about all those kitchen gadgets and that cassette player just taking up space?
Advertise your sale:
- Your best bet is to join us at the World's Largest Yard Sale where thousands will be in attendance and we take care of all the advertising.
- Take pictures and post on Facebook and Craigslist.
- Make posters, but don't forget to take them down after the sale!
Setting up your Yard Sale:
- Hang all clothing. No one wants to dig through a pile of sweaters and jeans.
- Have it organized. Put all kitchen items in one area and so on.
- Make sure everything you're selling in clean. Dust and stains won't get you top dollar.
- Make sure every item has a price tag.
- For like new name brand clothing start at about $3.00 per piece. Remember your in competition with eBay and other on-line shopping.
- Books go for about .25 paperback and .50 for a hardcover.
- Don't overprice. You're selling that chair because it's stained and it stinks.
- If you really want top dollar then consider an auction or selling each piece online.
Time to sell:
- Remember there will be early birds and if that's a no-go for you then include that in your advertising.
- Be ready to haggle. This is a game for some.
- Greet all your customers so they know who's in charge.
- Have plenty of singles and change.
- Have lots of plastic grocery bags on hand.
Good luck and pray for nice weather!