Stop feeding your dog 'bone treats.' The FDA is warning pet owners of possibly illness or even death.

The FDA has received about 68 reports of pet illnesses related to treats described as “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones,” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones.”

This Christmas you may want to reconsider giving your dog a stocking full of bone treats. “Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet," says Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA.

Illnesses Reported:
-Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract)
-Choking
-Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
-Vomiting
-Diarrhea
-Bleeding from the rectum, and/or
-Death. Approximately fifteen dogs reportedly died after eating a bone treat.

Tips to keep your dog safe:
-Chicken bones and other bones from the kitchen table can cause injury when chewed. So be careful to keep platters out of reach.
-Be careful what you put in the trash. Dogs are notorious for helping themselves to the turkey carcass or steak bones.
-Talk with your veterinarian about other toys or treats that are most appropriate for your dog.

You can report a problem with a pet food or treat, to the FDA.

BONUS VIDEO