Drive Green And Save Money-Earth Day Tips
Friday April 22 is Earth Day and with gas prices at or above $4 a gallon it might be wise to look for ways to both go “green” and save money. Ed Welsh, General Manager of AAA New York Central Region offers a few suggestions.
* Go easy on the gas and brake pedals. When approaching a red light, ease off the gas and coast up to it rather than waiting until the last second to brake.
* Slow down. Driving the speed limit or a few miles per hour less can reduce fuel consumption up to 23 percent. Each 5 mph driven over 60 mph is like paying an additional 24 cents per gallon at the pump, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
* Keep your car maintained. A car that is not in good running order can produce more emissions and consume more fuel.
* Choose a greener car such as hybrid, plug-in hybrid or electric vehicles. For households with multiple vehicles, choose to drive the greener model more often when running errands.
* Plan ahead. Several short trips starting with a cold engine each time can use twice as much gas as a single longer trip.
Source: Edward Welsh, AAA New York Central Region general manager
Photo courtesy of Flikr user greenbk.