Don't put the snow blower and shovel up yet, the National Weather Service has upgraded the Winter Storm Watch to a Winter Storm Warning. And the upgrade comes with 8 to 14 inches of snow and below zero wind chills. Click for the details
The warning goes into effect at 5 a.m. Wednesday (3/12) and continues into Thursday morning. Currently it looks like the most snow will occur Wednesday night, although we may have to battle some sleet and freezing rain on the Wednesday afternoon commute. Here's the forecast details.
* LOCATIONS...ONEIDA, ONONDAGA, MADISON, YATES, SENECA, SOUTHERN
CAYUGA, STEUBEN, AND SCHUYLER COUNTIES. INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS... AUBURN... SYRACUSE... CORNING...HORNELL...WATKINS GLEN...ONEIDA...UTICA...ROME
* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW MAY MAKE TRAVEL EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS. SNOW
MAY MIX WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL DEVELOP WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY WITH WIND CHILLS DROPPING TO NEAR 10 BELOW ZERO.
* ACCUMULATIONS...10 TO 16 INCHES WITH THE GREATEST ACCUMULATIONS
IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF NORTHERN STEUBEN, ONONDAGA, MADISON
* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP EARLY ON WEDNESDAY. THE SNOW MAY MIX
WITH SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. ALL SNOW IS
EXPECTED BY LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES WILL BE NEAR FREEZING ON WEDNESDAY
THEN DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS BY THURSDAY MORNING.
* WINDS...NORTH WINDS INCREASING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON TO 15 TO 25
MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH AND CONTINUING THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT
* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL
VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
Get the latest weather updates here